The Bath Botanical Gardens were established in 1779 through a Statute of the Jamaican House of Assembly. They are the second oldest botanical gardens in the western hemisphere.
The gardens were established to give visitors to the Bath Mineral Spa a tranquil environment to relax in. Many foreign plants were planted in the Bath Botanical Gardens when they were first introduced in Jamaica, including ackee, breadfruit and otaheite apples. It is believed that Jamaica’s first breadfruit trees were brought to Bath by Captain Bligh in 1793 and that several other exotic species were introduced in 1782 following the capture of a French vessel by Admiral Rodney.