The origins of the castle are associated with the rise in the twelfth century castellany Lublin when it was erected on a hill fortified castle wood-natural embankment. In the first half of the thirteenth century in the upper part of the castle was built brick defense and residential tower (donjon, Stolpe). It is a valuable monument of Romanesque art preserved to this day. Stone castle surrounded by a fortified wall in the fourteenth century. Gothic interior of the chapel was covered with Byzantine-Ruthenian wall paintings. The work was completed in 1418. Thanks murals, preserved to the present day, the Chapel of the Holy Trinity is an outstanding monument on an international scale. In the seventeenth century, as a result of wars, the castle was destroyed. A chapel and a keep were only survivor of the oldest buildings. In the years 1824-1826 was built on a hill a new building in the style of English Gothic, intended for criminal prison Congress Kingdom. The castle served as a prison for 128 years. After the liquidation of prison in 1954 completely renovated castle earmarked for cultural purposes. Since 1957 is the headquarters of the Lublin Museum, founded in 1906 and opened to the public.