Chenonceau Castle is one of the castles of the Loire Valley, often called the Castle Ladys (Chateau des Dames) because of the six women who, as his owner expanded it gradually. These were: Katherine Briconnet, Diane de Poitiers, the queens Catherine de Medici and Louis Lotharingia and Louise Dupin and Marguerite Pelouze.The castle is located on the River Cher in the heart of the Touraine. Its origins date back to the thirteenth century, when it housed a fortress and a fortified mill, belonging to the family of Marques. An architectural mixture of late Gothic and early Renaissance, Chenonceau and its gardens are open to the public. The chateau is classified as a Monument historique since 1840 by the French Ministry of Culture. Chenonceau castle is reasonably well furnished with Renaissance furniture, a good collection of 16 th and 17 th century tapestries and a great number of masterpieces.